March 29, 2019 Public Affairs Section U.S. Embassy Mongolia
Call for Applications: PAS-Ulaanbaatar-TBD/FY2019
The 2020-21 Fulbright Student Program Funded by the Government of Mongolia
The Public Affairs Section of the Embassy of United States of American is now accepting applications for the 2020-21 Fulbright (Foreign) Student Program funded by the Government of Mongolia. The application deadline is 12:00 p.m. (noon) on Monday, May 27, 2019. The Fulbright Student Program enables graduate students, young professionals, and artists from Mongolia to pursue graduate study degrees and conduct research in the United States. The Fulbright Program operates in more than 160 countries worldwide and approximately 8,000 grants are awarded annually.
The Government of Mongolia funded Fulbright scholarship will give priority to candidates who plan to pursue studies in the following fields:
- Engineering Infrastructure
- Agricultural Engineering
- Environmental Studies
- Information Technology
- Public Health
- Public Policy
- Science and Technology
The program selection process is administered by the Embassy and the Ministry of Education, Culture, Science, and Sports. Applicants will be assessed on the contribution their studies would make to Mongolia’s development and greater understanding between the United States and Mongolia, as well as the likelihood of the applicant performing successfully in U.S. academic setting.
If selected for the Government of Mongolia funded Fulbright Student Program, the grantees will be asked to provide collateral in the form of real estate, excluding land. For more information about the collateral and its conditions, please refer to [link/attachment] and/or contact the Education Loan Fund at elf.mn/contact.
To qualify, applicants must:
- Be a Mongolian citizen, currently living in Mongolia;
- Hold a university degree (at least B.A. or equivalent);
- Have a minimum of 1.5 years of full-time work experience; and
- Hold a valid English language test score (test score requirements vary depending on the field of study, please see below).
Candidates who are applying to pursue studies in the following fields are required to have a minimum of TOEFL IBT 90, TOEFL PBT/ITP 575, or IELTS 7.00:
- Arts Administration/Management
- Art History
- Business/Economics (MBA)
- Gender and Women’s Studies
- International Development
- International Relations
- Public Administration
- Public Policy
- Political Science
- Urban/Regional Planning
- Veterinary Medicine
Candidates pursuing studies in fields other than named above should have a minimum of TOEFL IBT 80, TOEFL PBT/IPT 550, or IELTS 6.5.
A complete application will include:
- Complete [Application Form] (.pdf 60KB);
- References: Letters of recommendation from two individuals who can attest to your academic and professional abilities;
- Essay: 1-2 pages long essay in English that addresses:
- Notarized copies of Diploma and Transcript of all university diplomas and transcripts;
- A notarized copy of Social Insurance Book indicating employment period of 1.5 years or more (only in Mongolian); and
- A notarized copy of TOEFL or IELTS official score report.
*Attach a passport sized photo (3x4) taken in the last six months.
**Please note that an application without a signed Acknowledgement of Collateral Requirement will not be considered for the next round of the selection.
*Recommendation letters must be in English or provide English translation by an authorized translation service along with the original letter in Mongolian.
*E-mailed references will not be accepted. Reference providers overseas may e-mail his/her reference to applicant as a .pdf file. The .pdf file should bear the reference provider’s signature and full contact information including title, work place, phone numbers, and e-mail address.
• Why you wish to study in the United States; and
• What you would like to do after completing the study.
*Diploma appendixes will not be accepted. Transcript must be issued by the school administration.
*Transcript must be in English or provide English translation by an authorized translation service along with the original transcript in Mongolian.
Things to note for your application:
- Answer all questions. Put N/A for questions that do not apply.
- Answer all questions truthfully. The essay must be your own work reflecting original thought. Any use of other people’s work or ideas must be properly cited and acknowledged. False information or plagiarism will be grounds for immediate dismissal from the program.
- Submit only the documents requested.
- Do not staple any part of the application or supplemental documents.
- The application and essay must be typed. Hand-written applications will be disqualified.
Incomplete application will be considered technically ineligible. Please carefully read the application checklist and application form, and submit the supplemental documents as requested. Do not submit any original document. Application package will not be returned.
Preference will be given to candidates who have not had extensive recent experience in the United States. Extensive U.S. experience could include:
- Individuals with recent U.S. experience (more than 6 months within the last 5 years); and
- Individuals who have attended a graduate school in the United States for one academic year or more during the last seven years.
Individuals with U.S permanent resident status are ineligible.
All U.S. Government scholarship programs adhere to equal opportunity principle. Any individual who fulfills the program criteria are welcome to apply regardless of their gender, sexual orientation, disability, race, age, and/or political or religious beliefs.
The Embassy will announce application results in late June to early July 2019 and notify all applicants via email.
Complete application package must be submitted to the Public Affairs Section by 12:00 p.m. (noon) on Monday, May 27, 2019 at the latest.
Street Address: Mailing Address:
U.S. Embassy АНУ-ын Элчин сайдын яамны Public Affairs Section Олон нийттэй харилцах алба
Denver Street #3, 11th Micro-district Монгол Улс, Улаанбаатар 14192
Ulaanbaatar 14190, Mongolia Ш/Х - 341
Please note, mailed applications received after the deadline will not be accepted.