Curriculum and Assessment Specialist
Sustaining Access to and Quality of Education during Economic Difficulties Project (RRP MON 50091), implemented by Ministry of Education, Culture, Science and Sports (MECSS) and financed by Asian Development Bank (ADB), aims to minimize the negative effects during this difficult economic period by (i) narrowing the gap in the enrollment capacity of schools and kindergartens in Ulaanbaatar and some aimag centers (output 1), (ii) supporting the completion of unfinished curriculum reform and associated assessment system reforms (output 2), (iii) ensuring the provision of teaching and learning materials (TLM) that accompany the new curriculum (output 3), (iv) upgrading the skills and knowledge of teachers and managers for the new curriculum and assessments (output 4), and (v) strengthening systems for planning and managing education services (output 5).
Curriculum and Assessment Specialist (36 person-months) is a full-time staff of the Project Implementation Unit (PIU).
- Scope of Work
- Required Qualifications, Skills and Expertise
- Application Submission Procedure
- Coordinate and manage, in cooperation with MECSS, Institute of Education, Education Evaluation Center, and Institute of Teachers Professional Development, all stakeholders (UMED and aimag education departments, teachers, school managers, pre-service teacher education institutes, lifelong learning centers, consultants recruited under the Project, etc.) involved in: the review and rewriting of curriculum standards to align with expected student learning outcomes; improvement of student learning assessment criteria, methods, and systems for primary and secondary education; updating and implementation of the standards for school evaluation to strengthen school-based management; updating of competency-based standards for teachers to encourage self-appraisal and continuing professional development; and alignment of pre-service teacher education curriculum with the updated school curriculum;
- Plan and manage project activities related to the review and rewriting of curriculum standards to align with expected student learning outcomes, improvement of student learning assessment criteria, methods, and systems for primary and secondary education, updating and implementation of the standards for school evaluation to strengthen school-based management, updating of competency-based standards for teachers to encourage self-appraisal and continuing professional development, and alignment of pre-service teacher education curriculum with the updated school curriculum, in accordance with the project implementation schedule and actions specified in the project administration manual, and the annual action plan;
- Facilitate the work of consultants responsible for updating the curriculum standards, reviewing Mongolian language and literature curriculum, improving student learning assessment and evaluation systems, strengthening school management, and updating teacher education curriculum and evaluation, and manage the flow of communication between the consultants, the Project Coordinator, MECSS, and ADB;
- Monitor progress in the work of consultants responsible for updating the curriculum standards, reviewing Mongolian language and literature curriculum, improving student learning assessment and evaluation systems, strengthening school management, and updating teacher education curriculum and evaluation, in accordance with the terms of reference, the project implementation schedule, the annual action plan, and the project administration manual; review and comment the consultants’ reports and outputs; provide guidance for the consultants; and take corrective actions and measures in case of any breach of contract and performance issues; advise MECSS, the Project Coordinator, and ADB on payments to the consultants;
- Assist the Project Coordinator in preparing annual action plans and budgets for the Project concerning activities to complete unfinished curriculum reform and associated assessment system reforms;
- Prepare and/or revise terms of reference and update relevant parts of the project administration manual, if necessary; assist the Procurement Specialist in recruiting consultants;
- Assist the M&E Specialist in monitoring project activities to complete unfinished curriculum reform and associated assessment system reforms and preparing relevant sections of quarterly and annual reports.
The applicant must possess and demonstrate the following qualifications:
- A graduate degree in education, education psychology, or other relevant disciplines;
- At least 5 years of experience in managing and coordinating the process of developing, reviewing, updating and implementing curriculum, assessment and evaluation in primary and secondary education;
- Written and oral English and Mongolian proficiency;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (MS Word, MS Excel and MS Power Point) and web skills are required;
- Cover letter (maximum two pages) explaining the reasons for applying to the position, describing how the candidate’s qualification, skills and work experiences meet the selection criteria;
- Curriculum vitae;
- One reference letter from the previous employer; and
- Copies of all diplomas and certificates.
Interested candidates should submit an application consisting of the following documents, prepared in English language:
All documents should be enclosed in a sealed envelope that indicates the applied position, and hand delivered to the specified person at MECSS by 16.20 pm, 3rd October, 2018. Please note that the submitted documents will not be returned to the applicants.
Only the short-listed candidates will be contacted and asked to (i) have a job interview with the MECSS’ selection committee; and (ii) provide proof of work experience and original copies diplomas and certificates at the interview.
Attn: Mr. ALTANBILEG Davaasuren, MECSS Specialist
The Ministry of Education, Culture, Science and Sports of Mongolia
Government Building III, Baga Toiruu 44
5th Floor/ Room# 507
Ulaanbaatar city, Mongolia